Saturday 19 March 2016

I'll Be Dreaming About Pallet Wood Tonight

Pin It


I decided it was time to get started on a project that's been waiting for me since last summer. I was asked to make a pallet bench in memory of a very special co-worker that passed away last summer.  He was a very special guy and certainly deserves something nicer than pallets, but at the same time I think he would appreciate the simplicity.  It's not quite finished, but I couldn't wait to share.  This one's for you Tommy!  If I had a can of Budweiser, and if I drank, I would raise a can right now.

Lots of sanding involved when working with pallets.


I was so pleased at how nicely this saw was working, that I chose to cut by hand rather than use the saw in the picture. Unfortunately I got in trouble with my son as it is his saw and he only uses it for drywall, oops, the tables have turned my friends.


This is how far I got on day 1, I was pretty pleased, as it came together pretty well.


Of course I couldn't leave it like that as it wouldn't be very comfortable. This is how it looked at the end of day 2.


So today I finished sanding and got it stained, Staining was very time consuming! I actually wasn't very happy with it when I was done, I think the stain is too dark, but I think it looks better in the picture than in person.  I'm going to paint a little something on it to dedicate it to Tommy.


So while that is drying I moved on to the next project. I've been trying to decide what to do with this wall with the window.  I know that I want to add a bench and some shelves, but couldn't decide between reclaimed wood (hoarding that, hate to use it up), faux ship lap (didn't want to pay for it), and pallet wood.


I finally decided to use pallet wood so I broke down the rest of the pallets that I had on hand.  I stained them...


and...I didn't like the look of the stain.  It's been a bad day for stain.  So I got out the white paint and dry brushed some white paint onto them.  When the paint mixed with the stain it turned gray, which I did like.


I did put up a few pieces on the wall but I forgot to take a picture, so I guess you will just have to wait.  This project has just begun.  
So I hope Sterling's not having a bonfire tonight, I noticed he has a nice collection of pallets up behind the garden, already got in trouble with one kid this week, hope I don't get in trouble again, but I guess I'm gonna risk it ;)





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...