Let me start this post by saying "I did not make this up" I found this idea on the internet, credit goes to Imparting Grace for coming up with this great idea. Go check out her ottoman, such a great idea Richella! Now, as is usual for me, I changed it a little, I'm sure Richella will understand. I wanted to be able to access the storage space provided by this project. I didn't want the styrofoam to show, so I modpodged the inside of the top (black). In order to clean up the edges I used some fancy schmancy duct tape that I recently picked up, and taped the edges of the lid...
and the top edge of the box.
I cut a piece of scrap plywood to fit the bottom of the cooler. I drilled holes through the plywood and into the styrofoam in order to insert these wheels. When the project was done I felt it was too high off the ground, so I changed them.
I used duct tape around the bottom to secure the plywood to the cooler.
I used "egg crate" foam to pad the top, but just used a layer of quilt batting around the sides, then wrapped it in fabric. My biggest problem everytime I used fabric is deciding which fabric I can give up. I am a fabric hoarder, I'm always afraid to used something, because it might be better for the next project! I finally decided I could part with this one. I'm positive I have a coordinating fabric to go with this, but I couldn't find it. Grrr!
I used very long staples and my air stapler to attach the fabric to the styrofoam. I was impressed at how neat and tidy it was.
I folded the fabric under before stapling.
Here it is before the trim.
Here it is with the trim, and I changed the wheels out for little feet. I moved them closer to the edge too.