Monday 17 December 2012

How to Make a Dollar Store Drawer Pull

Pin It


Well people, I am way too proud of myself for this one, yup, giving myself a little pat on the back. You know the saying, "Pride goeth before the fall", yeah, so I'm sure I will pay for this one.  All jokes aside, if you have a drill press, you gotta try this.  I was in Dollarama and came across a little bling.


I had an idea, but didn't think it would work, I bought them anyway because I figured even if the idea didn't work, a girl can't have too much bling around can she?  I was in the States this weekend and picked up some metal screws at Walmart.  Well, my idea worked, and I couldn't be more pleased.  I made plastic bling  into drawer pulls.

I used Manuel's drill press (don't try this without one). Insert the bit into the drill press as far as possible so that it will not flex as easily.  The drill bit I used was just slightly smaller than the screw I was using so that when I inserted the screw into the knob the threads would cut into the plastic a little so that it gripped and didn't slide off.

I centred carefully, and went very slowly because when I tried to go too fast it would wander off to the side and drill a crooked hole.  The drill bit would plug up with plastic, it melted the plastic as I drilled, but every couple of knobs I either drilled a piece of wood, or took the bit out and laid it on the cement floor and gently hit it with a hammer and the plastic would break off.


The knob looks a little different after it is drilled because the whole that is drilled reflects in each facet of the knob.   In the picture above the finished knob is on the left, see how there is more detail in the reflection.


I'm not sure how long these would hold up on a dresser or something that is being used constantly, but so often a drawer pull is just for looks anyway, and seriously, these cost a few pennies each to make.  Go ahead, bling it up people, don't be shy, and don't spend a mint!  This is how I used the first ones off the press, the drill press that is, ha ha, check it out Chalk Paint Sign




Monday2 Make the Scene Monday #53Home Stories A2ZBecolorful
         
DIY Show Off
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. wow! gorgeous idea. now i just need a drill press...

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what were they to start with? I can't see that on the label -- but I doubt it just says "Bling!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, thanks for looking, they are called Acrylic Diamonds.

      Delete
  3. another post right up my alley! I just bought a drill press since I'm making kitchen cabinet doors and needed one for the forstner bits for the euro hinges. Seemed like a waste for one project at $59 - a big project though - and am so glad to have another project to get more use out of the drill press :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. another post right up my alley! I just bought a drill press since I'm making kitchen cabinet doors and needed one for the forstner bits for the euro hinges. Seemed like a waste for one project at $59 - a big project though - and am so glad to have another project to get more use out of the drill press :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...