Saturday 27 October 2012

And Now For Something Completely Different; Baby Girl Quilts

Pin It


I started these two quilts a couple (or maybe 3) years ago.  They have been laying on my sewing table (you can tell it hasn't gotten much use lately) covered with plastic to keep them protected.  I find myself in need of a baby shower gift for a special little girl.  I know, they are all special, so true, but this one is special to me.  So I pulled them out and finished one up, so I thought I would show them to you.  I don't usually do this type of quilting, cut and paste quilting I call it, (I have only done one other besides these two) but I wanted a lot of detail and don't feel I have the time or patience to do this by hand.  I will show you my first cut and paste quilt in my next post.  I am quite proud of it.




































This is not going to be a real tutorial I will just show you a couple of the steps required in the making of this type of quilt.  I made up the patterns for these quilts, just made it up as I went along.  I remember gathering my biggest bowls from the kitchen to make the circles.  Hey, I use what I have on hand :)

I ironed the fabric onto wunder under or something similar and cut out the shapes I wanted.  I then ironed the pieces onto a background fabric.



On the first quilt I did, I put the batting and backing layers together with the top and then stitched around each individual piece.  On the second one, I stitched around each piece before layering with batting and backing.  I'm not sure which is the "proper" method.  I only stitch over the pieces that have raw edges, if the piece is covered with another, I don't worry about it, notice that the blue stripe is stitched down on two edges, but the orange doesn't require it because it is overlapped with other pieces.


This picture shows how I jumped over the red diamonds while sewing on the green diamonds.  I came back and snipped the threads later.



When I was done outlining all of the raw edges, I quilted the background area.



This is a picture of the back, showing all of the quilting.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...