Friday 28 September 2012

Lighting Up My Life! A Reclaimed Wood Lamp, or two.

Pin It
The other day my son asked me if I had an extra lamp around, "you know, something ... decent" ha ha, I thought about it and realized that all of my lamps are "girly".  Of course the first thing I thought was "I will make him one.".  I seem to be really into the salvaged lumber right now, so this is what I did.  I cut four pieces of lumber to length, 2 2 X 6 and 2 1X6, then I cut a piece of 1X6 to fill the space in the top.  I simply screwed the pieces together, not trying to hide the fact.  It is supposed to be rough after all.


I drilled a large hole in the top to allow the threaded pipe to fit through.  I also drilled a hole in the back of the base, near the bottom, for the cord.


I cut a short piece of threaded pipe and put the wire through it, adding a nut and washer to the pipe.  I gave it a very light sanding as I didn't want to sand off all that beautiful gray exterior.


 I attached the two wires to the socket according to the instructions on the package.


Before I went any further I tested the fixture to make sure it would work.  Yay, success!!!


I put the threaded pipe up through the hole in the top of the base,


and screwed it to the bottom of the socket,


tightening it from the bottom.  To be honest, I got to this point and realized that I hadn't put the harp (to hold the lamp shade) on, and I had to undo everything and redo it once the harp was in place.  Lesson learned.


This was the shade I was planning to use... yeah, I agree, yuck!  It looks funny perched up there.


So I went looking in my stash and found this one... I think it will work, but anybody see a problem?  Yeah, pink trim is not going to cut it.


Yes, black, that looks better, I just hot glued black trim right over the pink.  Now there are so many ways I could snazz this up a bit, but then that wasn't the point was it?


 Because I was set on using this rectangular shade, I made another one, like it?  I like the shade on this base much better.  I may add some crystals or beads or something to this eventually, but for now this is it.




And that girls and boys is what I do on a Friday afternoon when I don't need to go to work.


Shared at
DIY Club
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. i like the second one :)
    If you do it again, use/buy burlap for the shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, burlap is certainly all the rage right now.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...